- Required to fend off attempt to merge TSU with the University of Houston
- Envisioned multimillion dollar fundraising campaigns aimed a lessening TSU’s reliance on state funds.
- Reorganized leadership structure, establishing Office of the Provost and position of Senior Vice President for Business and Finance
- Growth in enrollment
- Creation of Black Male Initiative
- Launch of TSU AIDs Awareness program – one of the first in the country at an HBCU
- In addition, established Mickey Leland center on World Hunger and Peace
- Made community service and outreach more of a priority for students, faculty and staff